SGHS students reveal their tragic Thanksgiving stories.

“I was around eight years old and I decided to help butter the turkey. We buttered it, had the stuffing ready, and we were ready to sew it up and put it in the oven. A few minutes later, my dad noticed he lost his wedding ring. My dad began to get antsy and started looking everywhere. It was not until we all stared at the turkey and shared the thought that the ring must have been inside it. There we were looking like a bunch of chickens, taking off all the stuffing from the turkey and searching through it to find the ring. I remember feeling the gooey stuffing in my hand. We finally had all the stuffing out and still no ring. Long story short, it turns out that the ring was in the trash can covered in a paper towel. You can imagine how mad my mom was. That thanksgiving was very memorable.”

                                                                                                                     -Anonymous

“My aunt had just made a pumpkin pie fresh out of the oven. As she began walking to the table to set it down, it fell all over the kitchen floor.”                                                                                                                                                                                              -Fabian Rodriguez, 11th

“Thanksgiving took place at my godmother’s house and it was pouring. They decided to put a plastic tarp up so no one would get wet, but overtime water collected and caused the tarp to sag in the middle. One of my family members had the bright idea to poke the tarp with a stick to make the water fall. I, unfortunately, decided to stand near the edge with the mash potatoes in my hand and all the water came splashing down, causing both my outfit and the food to be drenched in water.”                                                                                  -Joana Aceves, 12th  

“We were cooking a meat dish on the stove and I was occupied with other things. It was not until I smelled smoke that I noticed the pan was on fire. The wall soon started filling with flames and spreading rapidly. I quickly ran to get the fire extinguisher.”                                                                                                   -Iran Lara, 12th

“Two years ago, my aunt hosted Thanksgiving at her house. She was in charge of the ham and my mom was in charge of the turkey. My aunt started cooking the ham super late, around 5 pm and it was barely half way done. The whole family was starving, but we all eat together as a family tradition. My aunt decided to get fancied-up and left the ham unattended. By the time she came back, the ham was burn! At the end of the evening we had turkey and burned ham, but it was still good since we were all together as a family. It was actually a great Thanksgiving.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          -Elisa Gomez, 11th