/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
By Joel Garcia
Be ready to “Lip sync for your life!” because here are just a few slang words common in the world of all things drag.
1. Work / werk / werq: to put in the effort necessary to impress and stun.
“You betta’ work.”- RuPaul
2. Kiki: get-together among close friends, usually for tea-spilling, confessions about one-night stands, or intense discussions regarding the effectiveness of gun control.
“Let’s have a kiki.”
3. Eleganza Extravaganza: Having high amounts of elegance
4. Shade: The casting of aspersions. A form of insult. Bluntly pointing out a person’s flaws or faults.
“I don’t tell you you’re ugly, but I don’t have to tell you because you know you’re ugly.” – Dorian Corey
5. Hunty: term of endearment; originates from an inventive pairing of the words honey and a certain c-word.
6. Gag/Gagged: To react intensely, usually as a result of shock; also may be used as an exclamation.
“I was gagging on all the eleganza.”
7. Tea: gossip, news, or information.
“What’s the tea?”
8. Beat: to apply make-up.
“Her face is beat for the gods.”
9. Drag Mother: An experienced drag queen who acts as a mentor and guide to a younger, up and coming, less experienced, or apprentice drag queen.
10. Gurl / Girl: term of endearment; often used as an exclamatory remark.
“Oh, gurl, you’ve got SHEmail!” –RuPaul
For more terms that come from the iconic world of drag visit