Name: Bernie Sanders
Slogan: A Future to Believe In / Feel the Bern
History: Bernie Sanders is the longest serving independent in U.S. congressional history and a member of the Democratic Party since 2015. A civil rights activist since 1961, Sanders has also been mayor from 1980-1988, a House of Representative member from 1991-2007, a chairman of the Senate Committee on Veteran’s Affairs from 2013-2015, and a senator of Vermont since 2007.
Platform: Bernie Sanders is a democratic socialist and progressive, thus having many liberal values and views.
● Immigration: advocates for immigration reform to provide citizenship for 11 million aspiring Americans by executive action
● Health Care: believes health care is a right, not a privilege, and advocates for universal health care to be provided for every American
● Economy: wants to invest $1 trillion in order to rebuild American infrastructure and provide 13 million Americans jobs as well as provide job-training and create a Clean-Energy Workforce
● Education: plans to make tuition free for public colleges/universities, lower interest rates on student loans, and make educational resources more accessible for all
● Guns: plans to reduce gun violence by enforcing background checks, close gun-show loopholes, and ban semi-automatic assault weapons
● Abortion: believes abortion is a choice a woman should have and does not want the government to control their bodies by closing clinics and extending waiting periods
● Environment: believes climate change is the biggest threat facing the planet and plans to cut carbon pollution by taxing it, repealing fossil fuel subsidies, and investing in clean, green energy such as wind and solar power
● Foreign Policy: wishes to move the U.S. away from a policy of single-handed military action and toward policies emphasizing diplomacy, ensuring both the country and the world that war is a last resor